This section provides strategies:
- To accurately assess a child’s weight status and identify those above a healthy weight
- To aid the management of a child who is identified as being overweight or obese
- To assist in communicating and counselling families about preventing childhood overweight and obesity in an effective and empathetic manner
The 5As approach can be used – Ask, Assess, Advise, Assist, Arrange.
Questions to ask:
Are the family’s/child’s concerns weight-related?
Have there been previous attempts at weight loss, and/or a change in eating or exercise habits? Has there been success or otherwise?
A detailed history should be taken and include:
- sleep patterns/problems
- systemic issues
- psychosocial or behavioural problems
- history of type 2 diabetes and overweight/obesity
- ethnicity – including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, Asian, Middle Eastern, Maori/Pacific and South Sea Islander
- current physical activity/exercise behaviours
- eating patterns and disordered eating.
Raising the topic of a child’s weight